Dr. Roberta Ross-Fisher is a national leader in educator preparation, competency-based education, distance learning, accreditation and quality assurance. Roberta taught for 16 years at the P-12 level before becoming a higher education professor, student teacher supervisor, director of teacher education, dean, and manager of compliance & accreditation.
Her work has resulted in numerous state program approvals; approval as an alternative route to licensure provider; National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) reaffirmation; national program rankings from the National Council for Teacher Quality (NCTQ); and national recognition for all eligible educator licensure programs by their respective Specialized Professional Associations (SPA). She also is an experienced site team reviewer and team lead for the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
An articulate presenter and author of numerous scholarly works, Roberta has received many professional accolades during her career including five Who’s Who in Teaching awards; Governor’s Award for Teaching Excellence; Parkway Baptist Distinguished Professor of the Year Award; six High Performance Faculty Recognition awards; two Provost Top Performer Awards; Compliance and Accreditation Departmental Award; and two Excellence in University Service Awards. Dr. Ross-Fisher has a bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education, a master’s degree in Reading Education, and PhD in Curriculum and Instruction.
Roberta has developed considerable expertise in areas such as:
Educational Innovation and Reform
- Competency-Based Education
- Traditional and Non-Traditional Educator Preparation Models to Meet Supply and Demand Needs
- Ensuring Workforce Needs through Educational Partnerships and Innovative Programming
Supporting Student Success
- Improving Student Retention, Graduation, and Satisfaction through Mentoring Models
- Selecting and Admitting Teacher and School Leader Candidates of High Quality
Ensuring Academic Quality
- Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation Programs (CAEP)
- Coordination of Accreditation Self-Studies and Site Visits
- State Program Approvals
- Measuring the Impact of Educators on P-12 Student Learning
- Making Data-Driven Decisions to Steer Program and Systemic Improvement
Current Professional Projects
- Development of an innovative residency-based, workforce-driven educator preparation program
- Research & Development: Professional Dispositions of Highly Effective Teachers and School Leaders
- Online course modules for education professionals leading to micro-credentials